Wellness Wednesday – What is with Plant Based Diets?

July 17, 2019
Plant Based Diet

For the last century, there has always been a new diet that has become popular or a trend of eating. A few decades ago it was the low-carb, South Beach Diet, and now the ketogenic diet of just eating animal products to increase ketones in the blood for weight loss. In this article, we will explore what it means to eat about 80% plant-based diets. Click to continue reading more about plant-based diets.

What is a Plant-Based Diet?

Plant-based diets are when a person commits to making their food choices about 80% plants. Plant-based diets are essentially, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and grains. The other 20% is likely to be a type of animal product such as meat, or dairy.

Why is a Plant-Based Diet Considered Good?

Plant-based diets are gaining a lot of traction from both celebrities and younger generations. Firstly, the largest reason is because it is healthy. A plant-based diet restricts people from eating fast food, processed foods, and artificial sweets. These foods are the largest culprits of weight gain. By eating a diet rich in plants, the human body is less likely to be affected by diseases. People who switched their eating habits to mostly plant-based, saw a reduction in high cholesterol and diabetes. The second large part about a plant-based diet is that it is very environmentally friendly. By committing to eating more plants, we can end much of our food waste, eat seasonally, and buy from local farmers. Also, with a growing appetite for plants, people are less likely to eat animal products. This can lead to a reduction in greenhouse gases from the beef industry.

Our Favorite Plant-Based Recipes

At Soma, almost all of our events center around food, because we like to eat!  Below is a list of some of our favorite types of ways to prepare plant-based meals! Once you prepare your ingredients and find recipes, it is so much easier to stick to this diet!

  • Buddha bowls
  • Poke bowls
  • Strawberry spinach salad
  • Fruit salad
  • Roasted cauliflower with pomegranate and yogurt sauce
  • Vegetarian chili
  • Butternut squash soup
  • Tomato bisque
  • Mango corn salsa
  • Babaganoush
  • Tomato avocado salad
  • Tabouleh
  • Falafel
  • Roasted Eggplant
  • Hummus
  • Peach Caprese
  • Chana masala
  • Zucchini with parmesan
  • Slaw
  • Guacamole
  • Baked sweet potato with blueberries
  • Vegetarian curry
  • Maple Brussel sprouts

Final Thoughts

Has this article convinced you to add more fruits and veggies to your diet? If you have already been a vegetarian or a vegan, please comment about your experiences! Essentially, you don’t need to change your lifestyle eating habits, but try to get more veggies and fruits in your diet! If there is another article that you would like us to cover, please write below in the comments!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Explore Other Blog Items By Category