- History And Significance Of National Pet Day
- Where Is National Pet Day Celebrated
- Health Benefits Of Owning A Pet
- Several Ways to Support National Pet Day
- Pets Of Soma Tech Intl Employees
- Final Thought
National Pet Day is celebrated on April 11 across the world. The bond between pets and humans is beautiful, which brings happiness and positivity altogether. Human and animal bonds are mutually beneficial and dynamic in nature. Their presence can lower your blood pressure, cut stress, and boost happiness. The literal meaning of pet doesn’t mention only dogs but a wide range of animals or a bird that can be kept at home for pleasure without any expectations in return.
HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE OF NATIONAL PET DAY
Colleen Paige, animal welfare advocate, and pet and family lifestyle expert, founded National Pet Day in 2006 to celebrate the joy pets can bring to us. But she also wanted to bring attention to the ongoing needs of many pets of all kinds waiting in shelters to be adopted. She encouraged people who want purebred dogs and cats to contact rescue organizations instead of going to a breeder. “Don’t shop! Adopt!” has become the holiday motto. according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), approximately 6.5 million companion animals enter shelters nationwide. And 1.6 million cats and 1.6 million dogs find their forever homes.
WHERE IS NATIONAL PET DAY CELEBRATED?
Colleen’s holiday got its start in the U.S., but it soon expanded internationally. Pet lovers now mark the day in many other nations including:
- New Zealand
HEALTH BENEFITS OF OWNING A PET
There are many health benefits of being a pet owner. They can increase opportunities to exercise, outdoor activities, and socialize. Studies show that the bond between people and their pets have links to several health benefits, including:
- Decreased blood pressure, cholesterol levels, triglyceride levels, feelings of loneliness, stress, anxiety, and symptoms of PTSD.
SEVERAL WAYS TO SUPPORT NATIONAL PET DAY
- Adopt a pet from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization.
- Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to care for the animals.
- Donate blankets, food, and toys to a favorite animal welfare organization
- Assist an ill, elderly, or financially struggling neighbor or friend by purchasing pet food, hay, or needed items for their pets.
PETS OF SOMA TECH INTL EMPLOYEES
Below are some of our furry and even one scaly friend here at Soma Tech Intl.
“Dogs and angels are not very far apart.” –Charles Bukowski
What does your furry, scaly, feathery friend like? A mallard tuggy toy? A nice belly rub? A nice juicy insect? Leave us a comment below!